Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Help





I probably should save this one for Labor Day, but I'm ready to show it now. This is a maid's uniform worn by an employee of the historic Henry Grady Hotel, which was a popular place for travelers to stay in Atlanta. It also served as the home away from home for politicians while the state legislature was in session, so whoever wore this dress patiently served the lower classes as well.

Dress sizes are not something I estimate well, but this is small and was worn by a petite woman or a teenage girl. I bought it as you see it, complete with the pinned paper tag and the little cloth crown that tied with ribbon around her head.

The hotel operated between 1924 and 1972. The paper tag shows the address as Atlanta 1, Georgia. That zone identification was used between 1942 and 1963, when zip codes came into being, so my guess is that it dates to sometime in those years.

Here's to the invisible folks who keep things clean and tidy. And one more thing about those who clean up after you: they know your secrets. Be glad for their discretion, because there's nothing menial in that.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! The paper tag just completes it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joey, Your post of the miner's hat workwear reminded me finally to post this. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be some museum exhibit, huh!? Early American workwear. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to have one made for me . . .

    ReplyDelete